On this episode of Phillip Barcio's Apocalypse Mixtape, Phillip welcomes Maurita N. Poole, PhD, director and curator at Clark Atlanta University Art Museum (CAUAM). Maurita received her doctorate in Cultural Anthropology from Emory University. Her professional training was attained at Williams College Museum of Art, The Walters Art Museum, The Smithsonian National Museum of African Art, and Spelman College Museum of Fine Art. She developed and manages the Tina Dunkley Fellowship in American Art, and she created the Black Optics Artist Residency, a platform that connects artists of African descent from the American South to artists and institutions in the Global South. Her curatorial projects focus on modern and contemporary African and African Diaspora art.
Songs in this episode:
(Opening) Black Frost, by Grover Washington Jr.
1. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, by Cannonball Adderley Quintet
2. Afro Blue, by Mongo Santamaria
3. Abusey Junction, by Kokoroko
4. Afro Blue, by Robert Glasper Experiment (Feat. Erykah Badu)
5. Journey In Satchidananda, by Alice Coltrane
6. Clair de Lune, by Kamasi Washington
7. Dove, by Cymande