In this episode, Phillip welcomes artist Manuel Mathieu. Uncertainty and imagination are crucial to Manuel’s artistic process. Motivated by an embrace of, and ongoing search for, the unknown, he transforms memories, desires, questions, historical influences, and an encyclopedic curiosity about global visual culture into semi-abstract paintings, sculpture and installations that express a singular material mystery. Recent exhibitions include Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal; The Power Plant, Toronto; Pérez Art Museum, Miami; and Institute of Contemporary Art, London. His work is included in the permanent collections of Musée Nationale des beaux arts de Quebec, CA; Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal, CA; Musée du Panthéon National, Haïti; The JP Morgan Collection; and the Rubell Family Collection, Miami; among others. Born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Manuel currently lives and works in Montreal, Canada. He is represented by Kavi Gupta gallery in Chicago.
Songs in this episode:
(Opening) Pure Imagination (Future James Trap Remix), by Dotan Negrin & Prismatic Mantis
1. Untitled 02 | 06.23.2014, by Kendrick Lamar
2. Zamami, by Plaid
3. Do Dekor, by Jan Jelinek
4. Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars), by Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto
5. Constantinople, by Chapelier Fou
6. Ice Squinchies (Waiting for You), by SPAZA
7. Nantes, by Barbara
8. My Downfalls, by Notorious B.I.G.
9. Perfecto Miserable, by King Krule
10. Ramblin’, by Ornette Coleman
11. Off Top, by Earl Sweatshirt
12. Light, by Michael Kiwanuka